In Episode 17 of the I Am Multicultural podcast is the story of an Indian-Pakistani woman Annum, who as a Muslim wasn’t allowed to date, but fell in love with a South African Jewish man Jordan and how together as an engaged couple, they’re figuring out how to make their Indian – Pakistani -South African interfaith relationship work.
Annum + Jordan’s Love Story
I think their interfaith relationship story will surprise you and open up your hearts to a different perspective.
I asked Annum and Jordan the following questions:
- How she introduced her Jewish “special male friend” to her parents
- How they figured out if their relationship would work
- What happened when they were told, “a Muslim woman can’t marry a non-Muslim man” & how they faced that obstacle
- How Jordan proposed
- Their immigrant parents: how they reacted to their interfaith, interracial relationship
- How they plan to raise their children
- What their interfaith wedding ceremony will look like
We talk about why it took them so long to find an Imam (Muslim priest) to marry them.
They share how they both make each other stronger in their respective faiths.
Annum’s best surprise is when Jordan proposed with a Beyoncé “Love on Top” dance flash mob in California
As I was listening to their conversation, I was reminded of Maya Angelou’s quote: Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”
She’s Indian – Pakistani & Muslim. He’s South African & Jewish.
Annum wearing a traditional Anarkali outfit.
Photo Credit: Wesley Yen
Get in Touch
- FOOD: Thai Crying Tiger steak + Thai Panang Curry
- DANCE: EDM electronic dance music & trance Gareth Emery
- MUSIC: Young the Giant, indie alternative
- BOOK: Johnny Got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo
- MOVIE: Old School
How You Can Support the Podcast: